The course aims at opening the black box of managerial decisions connected with the strategy making process in the financial services industry nowadays. This main goal is pursued with lectures, seminars, case discussions and project works. By the end of this course students should be able to understand the main competitive strategies of traditional and new suppliers in the financial services industry, at corporate and at business areas level. Lectures and seminars are carried out by Professor Previati, Dr. Francesco Masala (Italian Banking Association) and other academics and practitioners. The assessment is based on project works and oral test.
PREVIATI DANIELE ANGELOscheda docente materiale didattico
ProgrammaThe course illustrates and debates the following main topics:
• Strategic and organizational changes in the Financial Services Industry (FSI)
• Regulation and technology: their impact on competitive strategies
• Theoretical frameworks to analyse strategic and organizational change: from Industrial Organization to Strategic Management in FSI
• Business strategies in FSI: the basic strategies and their application (cost leadership, differentiation, segmentation)
• Corporate strategies in FSI: diversification and competencies
• The emerging challenges of Fintech
• Competitive strategies and social impact: stakeholders and CSR
• Evidences from European Banking Industry
Testi AdottatiFor non attending students: Markus Venzin, Building an International Financial Services Firm: How to design and execute cross-border strategies, Oxford University Press, 2009. You can find some copies of it in our library “Pierangelo Garegnani”, ground floor.
For attending students: slides and readings at disposal on the website of the course
Bibliografia Di RiferimentoOn demand, Professor can suggest a selected bibliography on course topics
Modalità ErogazioneLectures, seminars, case discussions, project works, business cases presentation
Modalità FrequenzaIt better to attend the course, especially for the intense team involvement in project works
Modalità ValutazioneFor attending students the assessment is based on project works and oral test on programme contents For non attending students the assesment is based on oral test. For this test you must read: Markus Venzin, Building an International Financial Services Firm: How to design and execute cross-border strategies, Oxford University Press, 2009. You can find some copies of it in our library “Pierangelo Garegnani”, ground floor.